Letterpress Evening Class
Thursday evenings 7th. Oct. - 11th. Nov. 2021.
6.30 - 9.30pm.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a gift voucher and you want to use it to pay for the course it is essential that you contact the studio to confirm your place.
or call 01273 691496.
An exciting introduction to letterpress printing wonderful artistic possibilities.
This course is suitable for beginners and the more experienced who want to brush up on their skills, as well as those who want to use the workshop on an open access basis afterwards.
Individuals are encouraged to explore their own ideas. By making use of various approaches from using our wide range wood and lead type, experimenting with the use of imagery and text using our vintage collection of ornaments and stamps. Students will also gain knowledge of modern printing skills with the use of polymer plates creating imagery in photoshop and making their own printing blocks, with possible progression to embossing/debossing techniques.
The tutor advises on the methods most suitable for an individuals work.
Ink spot press holds an astounding collection of printing presses, two Vanercook simple precision sp15 widely used in the 1950’s. A FAG swiss proof 40 and a Sofadi showcard press which allows printing up to a A1 size. Our collection of beautifully crafted lead and wood typefaces has been collected over a span of 80 years, adding up to around 150 trays, many are hundreds of years old! In recent developments Ink spot press has invested in modern wood type perfect for large posters and a collection of inks which includes metallic gold, sliver and copper and also fluorescent colours.
Participants can expect to:
• Learn how set up and use the printing presses safely with the knowledge of tools and equipment such as rollers and the correct cleaning products for the clean up.
• Understanding the use of rubber and oil based ink suitable for letterpress printing, the mixing process and how to create transparency and layers.
• Gain confidence in setting up posters using lead and wood type in various formats A3 and A4, stationary such a cards and small folded books.
• Experience how to create a deep emboss/deboss effect using plates and soft cotton paper.
• Learn about the use of polymer plates, taking imagery from photoshop and converting it into type high printing blocks.
• Learn more about the history of Letterpress printing, a 600 year old craft dating back to the 15th century.
The course includes all materials and equipment except fine art paper and any polymer plates if this is something you would like to cover
Polymer plates are £15 for A4
The course also prepares you to use the workshop afterwards on an open access basis.
Small numbers mean that there is plenty of opportunity to tailor the teaching to each individuals interests within this diverse and versatile printmaking area.
We will be taking precautions to safeguard our customers and have made a few changes to help this happen:
• Classes are limited to 3 people.
• Tools and surfaces will be sanitised before and after use and each person will be
designated their own tools to use while they are in the workshop.
• Appropriate PPE, hand sanitiser, viral spray, hand wash etc. will be available for use
in the workshop.
• People should bring their own aprons/overalls, cups, snacks and lunch.
• If you have covid symptoms you should not attend and let us know.
All courses may be subject to change or cancellation according to government guidelines. Should this be necessary full refunds or transfers will be given.